Low Carb Caramel Vanilla Smoothy Bowl
If you're on a low carb or sugar free diet and you find yourself missing smoothie bowls and frozen fruit ice-creams (but you don't miss the sugar), then I've got the best solution for you!!! Just ferment them! I've been fermenting my fruits for years now as adding beneficial bacteria to them in the way of coconut yoghurt or coconut kefir removes all the sugar in the fruit. How you ask? The good bacteria in the cultures feeds on all the sugars and removes them, leaving a sugar-free version of the fruit + it'll be enhanced because it's now rich in probiotics, enzymes, bio-available nutrients and minerals + so it's much gentler on your gut. You can read more about fermentation in my blog here and you can follow recipe here on how to ferment fruit. Once you've made your fermented fruit, you can freeze them like I do and use them in smoothies, smoothy bowls and ice-cream.
- 2-3 fermented bananas, frozen
- 2-4 Tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp collagen powder
- 2-4 fermented dates (recipe coming soon, this gives it a caramelly taste) (optional) or just use stevia or your preferred sweetener to taste
- Optional add ins; 1 tsp adaptogenic herbs, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 Tbsp brain octane oil, 1 Tbsp gut restore liquid,1 tsp maca powder, wild orange essential oil to taste, 1/2 -1 Tbsp cacao powder, a handful of organic berries etc.
1. Add the chopped and frozen bananas to your food processor and blitz until broken down.
2. Add the yoghurt, starting with 2 Tbsp and re-blend. If it's not blending into a smooth ice-cream consistency, add the remaining 2 Tbsp of yoghurt.
3. Now add the collagen powder and all the remaining ingredients of your choice to taste and re-blend. Taste the mix and adjust the flavours to your own tastebuds.
4. Scoop into a bowl and top with your choice of toppings.
Suggested serving 1; a sprinkle of cinnamon, cacao nibs and a handful of berries
Suggested serving 2; lemon or lime zest, fresh mint leaves, shredded coconut, Lime & Matcha or Lemon Chu Chu's (we sliced ours thin and rolled them into a rose) they have the texture of starburst lollies!
I also have a Keto Berry Smoothy Bowl recipe if you're after another variation.