Chocolate Bulletproof Ice-Cream
A typical ice-cream from the supermarket has huge amounts of additives, preservatives, colours, flavours, refined sugar, vegetable oils and other dubious ingredients that I would never want to put anywhere near my body (or anyone else's). That is why I was so excited when I came across Bulletproofs Ice-cream recipe made up of beautiful, nourishing real foods and immediately thought I had to try it.
This ice-cream is perfect for those who are currently dealing with hormonal imbalances or fertility issues. It's incredibly rich in choline due to the egg yolks contained. Now you may be asking...'What is choline, and why is it important?'. Choline is a water soluble nutrient that is related to folate and B Vitamins and plays a similar role in terms of supporting liver function, muscle movement, energy levels, brain function and keeping the metabolism active. Choline also helps in the process of methylation which is used to create DNA, for nerve signalling and essential for detoxification. The other beautiful thing about this particular recipe is that it only contains the highest quality fats from nature. Coconut oil is also a large component of the recipe, it has been found to reduce inflammation, protects the liver from damage, boosts the immune system due to it's antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-viral properties, and also improves memory and brain function, energy, endurance, digestion and skin issues among many other incredible benefits. Fat is one of the most satisfying foods on this planet, so as this ice-cream is predominantly made up of high quality fats, you can only imagine how satisfying and delectable this beautiful ice-cream is.
This recipe is a slightly adapted version of Bulletproof's 'Get Some Ice-cream Recipe'
- 4 organic, free-range eggs
- 4 or 5 organic, free-range egg yolks
- 1 tsp lemon juice or ACV (apple cider vinegar)
- 100g grass-fed butter or ghee (if dairy free), melted
- 50g cacao butter, melted
- 60g brain octane oil
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 30-50g sweetener of choice (or less or more to taste) (stevia, lakanto, pure maple syrup or honey)
- 50ml filtered water (or ice)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup organic cacao powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 or 2 tsp cinnamon or ginger (optional)
1. Add all the ingredients (starting with 30g of your chosen sweetener) into a high powered blender or thermomix and blitz together for 1-2 minutes.
2. Taste the mixture and adjust the sweetness by adding a little more if needed.
3. Pour into an ice-cream maker and churn for 15-20 minutes.
4. Serve and enjoy this incredibly nourishing and delicious ice-cream.