Beetroot Liver Tonic
While this 'Beetroot Liver Tonic' juice can’t make up for a diet full of refined, processed food, it may help to ease the burden on your body’s master cleansing organ and improve the way you look and feel.
Our livers put a lot of effort into filtering out and detoxifying all the dietary and environmental pollutants that get sent to it each day. However it can easily get over burdened. Once the level of these toxins get too high for the liver to deal with on its own, it can often leads to skin problems, bloating, dark circles under the eyes, regular headaches, general tiredness, issues with digestion + more.
I make this drink every week (with a few variations here and there). Not only is it rich in probiotics from the coconut water kefir, but it's also a great blood and liver cleanser. Beetroot naturally helps to cleanse the gallbladder, improve bile flow and promote better digestion. It also has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which has a great effect on the various detoxification pathways of our body, especially the liver. I also always add in ginger, turmeric and lemon for that extra 'zing' and to increase the anti-inflammatory properties even further.
2 small-medium sized beetroots
A knob of ginger root
A knob of turmeric root
1/2 bunch celery
1/2 cup coconut water kefir
1. Remove the skin from the lemons, turmeric and ginger and roughly chop them, then place them into a bowl.
2. Roughly chop the remaining fruit and veggies and put them into the same bowl.
3. Get your juicer ready.
4. Juice all the ingredients.
5. Pour the juice and coconut water kefir into a clean glass jar and allow this to ferment for 24 hours.
6. When it's ready, pour the juice through a fine mesh sieve to remove any pulp that may have come through when juicing, and then pour the strained juice back into the glass jar.
7. Pour over ice and enjoy.
8. Store the rest of the fermented juice in the fridge. Drink within 2-3 days.