Cultured Carrot, Turmeric & Ginger
Cultured veggies are a huge part of my life! I add have them with every meal I eat as they not only add zing and zest to them, but all sorts of health benefits are spruiked around cultured (fermented) foods. Ranging from boosting immunity, aiding digestion, increasing micronutrients including B Vitamins, adds beneficial microbes (good bacteria) to the gut, eliminates anti-nutrients and much more! This recipe is so easy and quick to make (although can get a little messy!).
1 kg organic carrots + 1 -2 carrots sliced lengthways
1 knob of ginger
1 knob of turmeric
1 - 2 red chilli's, chopped
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
1/4 cup coconut water kefir
2-3 heaped tsp salt
A pinch of pepper
1. Grate the carrots, ginger and turmeric and add to a bowl.
2. Add all other ingredients and combine.
3. Add the carrot mix to a sterilised 2L glass jar or 2 x 1 L glass jars and pack down. Cover the mix with filtered water but remember to leave a 3-4 cm gap at the top to allow for expansion.
4. Wedge the sliced carrot sticks into the jar/s to keep the grated carrot mixture underneath the liquid.
5. Clean away any random bits of veggies, close the lid and allow it to culture (or ferment) for 3-4 days in the pantry. I recommend placing it into a cooler bag incase there's any spillage.