Cultured Chilli Cashew Cheese
When I gave up dairy (except for ghee…because hey I’m only human) I wasn’t interested in hopping on the fake cheese bandwagon. I didn’t want to go anywhere near the fake cheeses that can often be made out of a cocktail of chemicals, fillers, starches or soy. So I opted to go without and splurge once in a while on organic RAW cheese (…that one time in The Netherlands).
Now I have a yummy and incredibly nourishing and gut loving cheese alternative that you can easily make yourself at home!
When you soak the nuts and ferment them using the Kultured Wellness Coconut Yoghurt, it’s incredibly easy on the digestive system in terms of breaking it down. As an extra bonus, the fermentation process further fuels the health of the gut, fights chronic inflammation, boosts the immune system, helps to control harmful bacteria in the body and makes the nutrients in food more bio-available. It’s winning all round!
To make this recipe you will need 3 basic ingredients
- Cashew nuts
- Kultured Wellness Coconut Yoghurt (this is the probiotic culture)
Optional Ingredients: lemon or lime juice, ACV, fresh herbs such as; dill, oregano, rosemary, thyme, parsley coriander etc. chilli, cayenne pepper, pepper, cumin, paprika, a little cold-pressed olive or macadamia oil to make it extra smooth and creamy and so on.
It won’t take a lot of your time or effort to make this delicious cultured cashew cheese. The only process involved is soaking the cashews in the coconut yoghurt and allowing it to culture for 12-24 hours. Then simply add your chosen ingredients to a quality blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Voila, spreadable, edible, creamy cultured cashew cheese.
Here's the recipe for my Cultured Chilli Cashew Cheese
- 2 cups organic cashews
- Just enough coconut yoghurt to cover the cashews
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1-2 chillies or 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- Lemon juice to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp cold-pressed olive
1. Soak the cashews (covered in a clean glass jar) in the coconut yoghurt for 12- 24 hours.
2. Strain the liquid away, but set it aside (you will need it).
3. Add all ingredients, but only 3/4 of the KW coconut yoghurt to a high speed blender, food processor or thermomix and blend until smooth, creamy and lump free. You may have to scrape down the sides and re-blend until you reach your desired consistency. If you prefer the mixture less thick, (more of a dip) just add a touch more of the coconut yoghurt and blend until desired.
4. Taste the mixture and adjust if needed.
5. Scoop/ pour into a clean glass jar and store in the fridge.
Suggested Serving: with veggies sticks (celery, cucumber, carrot, capsicum or fennel sticks), with homemade crackers, with eggs or a cooked breakfast or simply mix through some extra olive oil to make it into a gorgeous probiotic salad dressing.