Hidden Liver Meatballs with Paprika & Garlic
To me, liver is a SUPERFOOD! Just look at some of the incredible health benefits it contains;
- Nutrient dense source of high quality protein
- Boosts the immune system
- Increases energy levels (great for those with adrenal fatigue or low energy)
- Boosts metabolism
- Improves digestion
- Rich source of all the B Vitamins
- Maintains healthy cholesterol
- Maintains balanced blood sugars
- Incredible source of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K and so much more!
Read my blog 'Why Liver is a Superfood + How to Eat It - A Beginners Guide' to find out more information about liver.
- 500g organic mince (lamb, beef or pork)
- 100-150g organic chicken or lamb livers
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- Grass-fed butter or ghee for cooking
- Optional Add Ins: 1-2 Tbsp of mixed herbs such as; dried thyme, oregano, rosemary or basil or a few tsp's of cumin, cinnamon, 5 spice and/ or chilli powder - to taste
1. Add the garlic, onion and liver to a food processor and process the mixture until smooth.
2. Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add some coconut oil or ghee to the pan and allow it to melt all over.
3. Add the liver mixture to the frying pan and sauté the liver mixture until it's golden brown. The remove it from the heat.
4. Add the cooked liver mixture to a large mixing bowl.
5. Now add all the other remaining ingredients and mix together with your hands until everything is evenly combined.
6. Begin rolling all the mixture into meatballs using your hands.
7. Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and begin to add in the meatballs. Make sure you don't overcrowd the pan. Cook the meatballs on all sides until golden brown.
8. Remove them from the pan and place them onto a plate to rest.
9. Continue cooking the rest of the meatballs.
10. When they're all cooked you can serve them up.
Suggested Serving: with cauliflower puree, fresh leafy greens and cultured veggies. Or serve the meatballs on top of zoodles (zucchini noodles) and top with a beautiful homemade spaghetti sauce. Or simply serve with a fresh salad.