Coconut & Basil Green Detox Smoothy
I know it may seem strange to add fresh herbs to your green smoothy, but herbs can aid your bodies natural detoxification process (and also make it taste amazing...trust me on this one). Basil specifically targets the kidneys when it comes to detoxification. Our kidneys play a major part in removing waste products and toxins from our blood stream, and things like high-processed foods place a heavy burden on our never-resting kidneys. By eating basil, we are taking in nutrients that help to clear up any gunk that is stuck in our kidneys and also toning them to work better in the future. I'm so glad I experimented with adding fresh basil to my green smoothies as it really takes the flavour and aroma to the next level.
This recipe is seriously delicious, so quick and easy to make and is also packed with loads of nourishing ingredients and gorgeous probiotics!
- 1 avocado or 1 large frozen cultured banana, chopped (this gives the smoothy a creamy texture)
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves (you can lightly blanch/ steam this if you have oxalate issues)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- A handful or two of fresh basil leaves (wash the dirt away)
- 2 cups coconut water kefir
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
- Filtered water and/ or ice
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- A few drops of liquid stevia (if desired)
1. Add all ingredients except the filtered water and ice to a high speed blender or thermomix and blend until smooth and creamy (this make take up to 2 mins for the spinach and herbs to be purred completely).
2. Add additional filtered water and/ or ice if you prefer it extra icy and a thinner consistency. Taste and adjust if needed.
3. Pour into 2 glasses and enjoy immediately.