This ice-cream is nourishing, gut friendly, probiotic rich as well as sugar-free, egg-free, dairy-free and nut free. It couldn't get simpler than 4 base ingredients, however you can use any berry you have on hand + feel free to play around with the flavour of the gelato by adding in cinnamon, ginger, your preferred sweetener or even food-grade essential oils to add another subtle flavour.
3 bananas, roughly chopped
1- 1.5 cups strawberries (the riper the better)
2-3 Tbsp coconut yoghurt
Optional add ins; 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp adaptogenic herbs, sweetener to taste
1. Add the strawberries and banana to a clean, large glass jar.
2. Cover the fruit with just enough coconut water kefir to cover the fruit.
3. Close the lid and allow the fruit to ferment for 24 hours. The beneficial bacteria in the coconut water kefir will eat away all the sugars in the fruit and at the same time increase the bio-availability of the nutrients.
4. When the fruit has fermented, pour the mix into a lined container and place it in the freezer until it's frozen.
5. Remove the frozen fermented fruit from the container and carefully slice it into squares using a sharp knife.
6. Place the frozen fermented fruit squares into a food processor or thermomix and blitz.
7. Scrape down the sides and add the coconut yoghurt and any optional add ingredients and re-blend until you have a smooth, creamy ice cream consistency.
8. Serve and enjoy.
I served mine with the Egg & Nut Free Keto Brownie from GUTALICIOUS and this Chocolate Avocado Frosting recipe.