This is my new go-to hot tea when I feel the need for a quick pick me up or to aid my body’s natural detoxification process. This detox tonic tea aids in boosting the metabolism, immune system, digestion and circulation, stabilising blood sugar levels, aids liver detoxification, and provides antioxidants and electrolytes including potassium, calcium and magnesium. I recommend drinking this beauty before meals, because by adding ACV to the mix, it helps to promote adequate stomach acid which is essential for proper digestion and nutrient assimilation.
As well as all of this, it contains incredible anti-inflammatory properties from the Turmeric. Turmeric has been playing a big role in my life of late because it’s such a potent medicinal spice. It’s even argued to be the most powerful herb on the planet at fighting and potentially reversing disease. In fact, a number of studies have even reported that utilising this herb is more beneficial than pharmaceutical medications. With so many beautiful and health promoting ingredients, I say it’s a Win Win!
This tea was created in a matter of minutes with ingredients I tend to always keep on hand.
- ½ tsp ginger powder or a small knob of fresh ginger (grated)
- A small pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Lemon juice to taste
- 2 cups boiling filtered water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp organic turmeric powder or freshly grated turmeric
Optional: ½ - 1 tsp raw honey, liquid stevia to taste, pinch of nutmeg and/ or licorice powder
1. Grab a tea pot and place cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and cayenne pepper inside.
2. Pour the boiling water over the top, and allow it to steep for 5 minutes.
3. When ready, pour the mixture through a strainer (or as is) into 2 mugs.
4. Stir through AVC, sweetener to taste, lemon juice to taste and any additional ingredients you like.
*The spices tend to settle at the bottom of the mug, so stir through with a spoon every now and then to re-distribute them.
With winter coming up, this little detox tonic drink will be the perfect addition to your diet to give your body and immune system the boost it needs.